Backing Up to Blu-Ray - Might be Your Answer
Remember when a writable DVD was big news. 4.5 Gigs of backup storage, fast, efficient. cheap. Well back then cameras took smaller pics and we weren't loading 10's of Gigabytes of movies, videos and music on our computers. Today you can fill a DVD disk pretty quick.
Blu-Ray writers came out a few years ago but the price was higher than most people cared to spend. Today the price of Blu-Ray writes has fallen to the point where you have to ask yourself why don't I have one yet?
A Blu-Ray writer will put approx 23.5 gigs of data on a single disk. That's almost 6 times more than a DVD. Add a piece of software that runs scheduled backups and a re-writable Blu-Ray disk and you have a practical backup solution that might just be the ticket. One such piece of software that I use is called Backup4ALL. The web address of the company that produces and sells the product is www.backup4all.com
In the end, the most important thing about having a backup strategy is to have a backup strategy. However it goes without saying that strategies some are better than others. Backing up to a Blu-Ray drive is a pretty good one if the size is suitable to your backup requirements. I met one person who's backup strategy was that the computer was new and came with a warranty, good luck with that one.
Recipes by Gina - Recipe of the Moment
Asian Smoked Duck
- 1 small head of red cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 ½ lbs. sugar snap peas, ends cut off and cut into thirds on the diagonal
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 smoked duck breasts, fat removed, and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbs. peanut or olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Prepare all salad ingredients and mix in a large bowl.
- Sesame seeds may be mixed into the salad, and/or used as garnish when serving.
- Combine salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.