Menu Pricing Hints
Why should you price your menu ending with .99's vs .95's?
"It's not that much of a difference, 4 cents doesn't matter"...or does it?
If you serve an average of 200 items per day, here is how it works out:
- 200 x $.04 = $8.00/day
- $8.00 x 365 days year = $2920.00/year
- Almost $3000.00 extra from just changing your prices from .95 to .99
Now, if you have a higher end establishment, you might consider rounding your prices to the nearest dollar for a more sophisticated and less bargain look. Again more profit!
To figure out what you should charge for an entree, first calculate your cost.
If your cost is $3.20 for a stuffed chicken breast, $0.48 for 6oz of fries and $0.42 for mixed vegetables this is how is should be priced. 3.20 +.48 +.42 = $4.10 - 4.10 x 3.3 = $13.53
You should price this menu item between $11.99 to $14.99 depending on your location, the competition and what your customers are willing to pay.
by Gina Trudeau
from Gina's Corner,
Findlay's Monthly Feature June 2012
Recipes by Gina - Recipe of the Moment
Cheesy Capicola Chicken
- 8 boneless butterfly chicken breasts #58708
- 16 slices capicola #76901
- 8 slices provolone cheese #20729
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs #09039
- 2 large eggs #33520
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese #20793
- 1/2 cup oil (for frying) #13720
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly pound butterfly chicken breast to flatten evenly and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. In a separate bowl scramble the two eggs.
- Dip the chicken breast in the eggs then coat with the bread crumb mixture on both sides.
- Place 2 slices of capicola & 1 slice of provolone cheese on each chicken breast and fold over. (you may secure with a toothpicks if necessary)
- Place oil in a large sauté pan and heat on med - high. Sear the stuffed chicken breasts until lightly browned on both sides. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Set the browned chicken breasts on a baking sheet and oven bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let chicken rest for 3 minutes then plate and serve with roasted potatoes & vegetables, a side salad or a side of pasta.
(One 8oz portions per entrée)
Approx. Cost - $5.71/entree
Suggested Sell - $16.99-$18.99/entrée
Profit - $11.28-$13.28/entrée
*Includes a provision of $1.45 for green beans,
and roasted potatoes.