Menu Pricing Hints
Why should you price your menu ending with .99's vs .95's?
"It's not that much of a difference, 4 cents doesn't matter"...or does it?
If you serve an average of 200 items per day, here is how it works out:
- 200 x $.04 = $8.00/day
- $8.00 x 365 days year = $2920.00/year
- Almost $3000.00 extra from just changing your prices from .95 to .99
Now, if you have a higher end establishment, you might consider rounding your prices to the nearest dollar for a more sophisticated and less bargain look. Again more profit!
To figure out what you should charge for an entree, first calculate your cost.
If your cost is $3.20 for a stuffed chicken breast, $0.48 for 6oz of fries and $0.42 for mixed vegetables this is how is should be priced. 3.20 +.48 +.42 = $4.10 - 4.10 x 3.3 = $13.53
You should price this menu item between $11.99 to $14.99 depending on your location, the competition and what your customers are willing to pay.
by Gina Trudeau
from Gina's Corner,
Findlay's Monthly Feature June 2012
Recipes by Gina - Recipe of the Moment
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ cup lemon juice #10262
- ½ cup soy sauce #06485
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin #13938
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric #14097
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup canola oil #13732
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 12 Trout fillets 7-9 oz #65055
- 3 cups Peanut Sauce*
- prepared basmati rice #02171
- steamed vegetables
- In the bowl of a food processor, puree onions, ginger and garlic.
- Add lemon, soy, spices (except cilantro) and puree again until smooth.
- With the motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream to emulsify.
- Remove marinade from processor, stir in cilantro and set aside.
- Wash trout fillets and pat dry.
- Pour marinade over fillets in a bowl and toss gently to coat completely.
- Cover and refrigerate 45-50 minutes to marinate.
To Cook Each Fillet:
- To grill, on a very hot, well-oiled grill, place marinated trout fillet flesh-side-down and cook 2-3 minutes, rotating to create crosshatch marks.
- Turn fillets and finish cooking 2 minutes or until cooked through. (Trout fillets may also be broiled 4-5 minutes until golden brown and firm.)
- Plate each grilled trout fillet over 1 cup basmati rice and top with 2 Tbsp.
PEANUT SAUCE (3 cups)
- 1-½ cups Reserved marinade
- 1 cup (6 oz.) Chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup (7 oz.) Unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar Chicken stock as needed
- In a heavy saucepan combine all ingredients except chicken stock. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 minutes. Use as directed above, adding chicken broth as needed to thin sauce to desired consistency.
- Serve accompanied by steamed vegetables, if desired.