Menu Pricing Hints
Why should you price your menu ending with .99's vs .95's?
"It's not that much of a difference, 4 cents doesn't matter"...or does it?
If you serve an average of 200 items per day, here is how it works out:
- 200 x $.04 = $8.00/day
- $8.00 x 365 days year = $2920.00/year
- Almost $3000.00 extra from just changing your prices from .95 to .99
Now, if you have a higher end establishment, you might consider rounding your prices to the nearest dollar for a more sophisticated and less bargain look. Again more profit!
To figure out what you should charge for an entree, first calculate your cost.
If your cost is $3.20 for a stuffed chicken breast, $0.48 for 6oz of fries and $0.42 for mixed vegetables this is how is should be priced. 3.20 +.48 +.42 = $4.10 - 4.10 x 3.3 = $13.53
You should price this menu item between $11.99 to $14.99 depending on your location, the competition and what your customers are willing to pay.
by Gina Trudeau
from Gina's Corner,
Findlay's Monthly Feature June 2012
Recipes by Gina - Recipe of the Moment
Double Chocolate Brownies
Jump on the growing trend of whole grains and healthier foods. Findlay Foods offers a fantastic line of natural products that will help you create delicious and healthy options. This recipe is courtesy of GoBarley.
INGREDIENTS (Makes approximately 20 brownies)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) Against the Grains barley flour (#09199)
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (#11054)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt (#13791)
- 1 cup (250 mL) honey (#12876)
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter or margarine, melted (#44178)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (#33520)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla (#14260)
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts (#11735)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chocolate chips (#09050)
- 1 - Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2 - Grease the bottom of an 8-inch (2 L) square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add honey, melted butter or margarine, eggs, water and vanilla, then beat until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- 7 - Let cool completely before cutting into brownies.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Per brownie):
Calories: 151 Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrate: 20 g Fibre: 1 g
Sugars: 15 g Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g Trans Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 32 mg Sodium: 77 mg
Potassium: 31 mg