Asiago Cheese w/ Oven Baked Tomatoes & Carmelized Onions on Focassia
- 1 lb (450 g) Roma or Plum tomatoes
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) balsamic vinegar #07271
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soya sauce #06485
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) vegetable oil #13720
- 3 large yellow onions, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) pepper #14031
- 1 Focaccia 6 x 8 #38313
FOR THE TOMATOES
- Wash and quarter the tomatoes lengthwise.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, and pour over the tomatoes.
- Marinate for at least two hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain and reserve the marinade.
- If it has been refrigerated it can be used again.
- Place the tomatoes, cut side up, in a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake in a 300F (150C) over for up to 1 1/2 hours (depending on whether the tomatoes were refrigerated) until the tomatoes are slightly shriveled but not completely dried out.
FOR THE ONIONS
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high, then add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat, and continue cooking for about 1/2 hour, until the onions are a deep golden brown.
- Stir occasionally.
- Cut the focaccia in half crosswise.
- Cover the lower half with lettuce, then layer with cheese, onions and tomatoes.
- Top with the other half of the focaccia, and cut into 4 large, or 6 smaller portions.
- The tomatoes and the onions can be stored for about a week in the refrigerator.