PANINI w/CARAMELIZED ONIONS, PEAR & FONTINA
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 thin slices of a large loaf of crusty, chewy Italian bread
- 1/2 pound fontina, shredded or sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
- Preheat panini press to medium-high heat.
- Preheat a small skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and butter to the small skillet.
- Add onion to the melted butter and oil.
- Saute the onion, until they are caramel-colored and soft.
- To build sandwiches, spread 1/4 of the onions on bread.
- Top onions with a thin layer of fontina and sprinkle with chopped sage.
- Add a thin layer of pears to each sandwich, then more fontina and the top slice of bread.
- Drizzle the sandwiches with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Place drizzled side down and arrange the sandwiches on press.
- Drizzle opposite side of each sandwich with oil and press sandwiches 2 or 3 minutes on each side and serve immediately.