French Style Turkey Gravy
- Neck and trimming from turkey
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup port wine
- 4 1/2 cups turkey stock
- 2 tbs. butter #44110
- 1 tbs. flour #09125
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup cream, optional #44151
- Sauté turkey neck & trimmings with carrot, celery, onions, 1/2 the garlic, thyme and rosemary until celery and onions are translucent.
- Deglaze with 1/2 cup of white wine and 1 cup of port wine.
- Add Turkey stock.
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Strain stock, return to the stove and reduce by 1/3rd.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, cook butter with 1 tbs. flour for 5 minutes to a light brown color.
- Add stock to butter & flour (roux) with a whisk. Cook for 1/2 hour.
- In a separate pan sauté mushrooms with rest of garlic, salt and pepper until mushrooms are tender and add to sauce.
- Add cream for a richer consistency.