Veal Medallions with Caramelized Onion and Fennel
- 1 lb veal medallions or cutlets #28401
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided #13736
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups sliced fennel
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1 tsp thyme #14125
- 1 tsp hot mustard powder
- 1/2 cup dry white wine #10445
- 1 cup veal or chicken stock #02863
- 2 tsp corn starch #09103
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, heat 2 tsp (10 mL) of the oil and brown cutlets on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, until a hint of pink remains. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Add onions, fennel, garlic, sage, thyme and mustard powder and stir to combine.
- When onions are golden and begin to soften, reduce heat and continue to cook until very tender and creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and stir in wine.
- Reduce until almost evaporated and pour in stock.
- Stir; return veal and juices remaining on plate to skillet and cook until sauce is reduced by approximately half, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Serves 4