Smoke Cheddar, Carmelized Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese
Smoked Cheddar, Caramelized Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese
- 2 tbsp butter #44115
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced #87035
- ¼ tsp salt #13790
- Pinches of granulated sugar (#9580)
- 4 walnut or raisin walnut bread, sliced
- 4 oz smoked cheddar, thinly sliced #20620
- ½ granny Smith, thinly sliced #87000
- Saute onions in a little butter, season with salt and sugar. Stir just until onion starts to soften, a couple of minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir frequently until a deep golden colour, about 10 minutes.
- Spread remaining butter over 1 side of each slice of bread (walnut bread tends to be small so you may have enough for 3 sandwiches). Place half the cheddar on 2 or 3 slices. Top with onions (you will have leftover) then apple. Finish with remaining cheddar and bread, butter-side out.
- Grill over medium heat until cheese is melted and bread slices are golden, 3 to 4 minutes a side. Press with spatula to help sandwiches stick together better.