Smoked Cheddar Twists
Perfect to serve with drinks, these can also be made with aged cheddar or all parmesan. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (#9125)
- 1/3 cup cake flour (#9165)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne #13880
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated smoked cheddar #20620
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese #20702
- 1/4 tsp salt #13790
- 12 tbsp cold butter, cut into 1/2" cubes #44115
- 2 tsp lemon juice #10262
- 1/4 cup Ice water
- Mix the all-purpose flour, cake flour, cayenne, cheddar, Parmesan cheese and salt together and place in freezer one hour before use.
- In a separate bowl, place the butter in the freezer one hour before use.
- Place the ice-cold flour mixture on a work surface and add the ice-cold butter and with a metal pastry scraper, cut the butter into pieces the size of peas and cornmeal. Alternately this can be done in the food processor by pulsing. Place the mixture in a bowl. Combine lemon juice and ice water and add enough of the liquid until it almost holds together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and press together as best you can to form a rough rectangle shape. There will be large chunks of butter showing. Do not knead. Roll out dough into a 1/2" thick rectangle. Fold the narrow ends towards the center to meet in the center. Fold in half again so that there are four layers. This is your first turn.
- Turn the dough a quarter of a turn and roll again to form a rectangle 1/2" thick. Repeat the folding process. This is your second turn. Turn the dough a quarter of a turn and roll again to form a rectangle 1/2" thick. Fold into thirds as you would a letter. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a well floured surface, with a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8" rectangle, approximately 7-inches by 15-inches. Trim the edges. Cut the dough into sticks 7"-inches by 1/2-inch. Twist them slightly. Place them on a baking sheet 1-inch apart. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets. Remove with a spatula. Makes 20 sticks