Wild Rice Pilaf
- 1 tbsp each butter and extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 each carrot and rib celery, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2/3 cup sodium reduced chicken broth
- 2 tbsp slivered blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In saucepan, melt butter with oil over medium heat.
- Cook shallots, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally until softened, about six minutes.
- Stir in wild rice: cook, stirring for two minutes.
- Stir in broth and 1 1/3 cups of water; bring to boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer until the rice is tender and almost no liquid remains, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let rice stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in almonds and parsley.
- Serve along fresh water pickerel or perch topped with mustard cream sauce.