Red Cabbage with Pears and Apples
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 spanish onions, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 small red cabbages, cored and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 apples. cored and finely sliced
- 2 pears, cored and finely sliced
- Heat an ex-large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, onion, garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, sauté until it wilts, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add vinegar to the pan and fold cabbage in it.
- Add apples and pears and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings and sugar and fold over until well incorporated with the cabbage and fruit.
- Reduce heat and let cabbage continue to cook, stirring occasionally for another 10-15 minutes longer.