Cornish Game Hen with Butter, Garlic & Rosemary
This recipe is full of flavour… moist, buttery and simple as a single order item on your menu. Offering great plate coverage and value, this recipe, allows you to charge a premium price. Serve with mini roasted potatoes or wild rice and lemon butter greens.
- 8 Cornish Game Hens, butterflied & patted dry with a towel (ON FEATURE)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, sliced #44178
- 8 sprigs of fresh rosemary #87128
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil for searing #13731
- 1 cup garlic butter (spread) - softened #44140
- Pat dry hens with towel and refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Remove hens from refrigerator.
- Using your fingers, make a pocket between the flesh and the skin of each Cornish hen.
- Stuff with butter slices and a rosemary sprig. Evenly distributing ingredients amongst the 8 hens. Rub hens all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place hens flat in a container and refrigerate for single order use.
Single order preparation:
- Preheat cast iron pan over medium heat, lightly coated with olive oil.
- Sear hen, skin side down, in the pan. Sear until skin caramelizes and turns golden brown and crispy, about 10 to 12 minutes. Turn hen over, so the skin faces up.
- Place the pan with hen in a 375 degree preheated oven.
- Roast to finish off cooking the hen, about 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Baste the hen frequently with garlic butter, ensuring the skin doesn't get too dark. (Every 7-10 minutes)
- Remove hen from the oven, let it rest 5 minutes before serving with your choice of potatoes or rice and vegetables.