Fusilli with Sausage, Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced,
- 2 tablespoons of oil reserved
- 1 pound Italian hot sausages, casings removed
- 2 (8-oz) packages frozen artichoke hearts
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 16 ozs fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan, plus additional for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 8 oz water-packed fresh mozzarella, drained and cubed,
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil reserved from the tomatoes in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausages and cook until brown, breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces with a fork, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
- Add the artichokes and garlic to the same skillet, and saute over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Boil over medium-high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the fusilli in boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain the pasta (do not rinse).
- Add the pasta, sausage, 1/2 cup parmesan, basil, and parsley to the artichoke mixture.
- Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed by the pasta.
- Stir in the mozzarella. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve, passing the additional parmesan cheese alongside.
“This is a delicious recipe! If fusilli, sausage and sauce are all prepared ahead, the meal can be assembled in about 7 minutes, basically just heating ingredients through. Perfect for a quick lunch special on a cool autumn day!”