German Potato Salad
- 3 lbs small red-potatoes, washed well
- 10 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan combine potatoes with salted water to cover by 1 inch and simmer until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet cook bacon until browned and crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Drain potatoes and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes into eighths and in a bowl combine with bacon.
- Keep mixture warm and covered.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet and sauté onion over moderately high heat, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar, and broth and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to warm potatoes with parsley and remaining 1 tbsp vinegar, tossing gently, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve potato salad warm or at room temperature as a side dish to any sausage meal, garnished with parsley.