- 1 finely chopped onion #87040
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves #87135
- 2 strips of bacon cut crosswise #27144
- 2 tbls chili powder #13900
- 2 cans red kidney beans #00540
- 1 ½ tsp dried crushed oregano #14015
- 1 ½ tsp paprika #14020
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper #14040
- 3 cups water
- Kosher salt #13792
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar #20595
- 2 tbls fine cornmeal #09115
- 1 ½ cups chopped winter squash or zucchini #87085
- 1 ½ cups frozen peaches and cream corn #18167
The fine cornmeal is use to thicken the chili and the bacon adds a smoky flavour to this bean-based chili. You can also serve lime wedges on the side for an extra bit of flair.
- Cook the bacon in chili pot over medium heat until brown. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, oregano, beans and salt into the pot. Stir this mixture occasionally for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the fine cornmeal with water, corn, squash or zucchini and bring the pot to a boil. Begin to reduce the heat and keep stirring until the chili thickens and the veggies are softer. At this point taste and add additional spices accordingly. Serving your winter chili with some cheddar cheese on top. Add some freshly baked cornbread on the side, and your guests will rave!