- ¼ cup olive oil #13736
- 2 oz diced bacon #27124
- 1 med onion, chopped #87035
- 2 carrots, sliced #87056
- 2 stalks celery, sliced #87016
- 3 cloves garlic, minced #87135
- 1 potato, peeled and diced #87113
- 6 oz frozen greens
- 2 small zucchini, diced #87085
- 8 oz. cauliflower #87161
- ¾ cup dry navy beans, cooked #02140
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices #00695
- 6 cups beef stock #02893
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. each dried thyme, oregano, basil
- A few stems of fresh parsley chopped
- Salt, pepper and parmesan
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Begin adding vegetables in the order presented above, up to and including the cauliflower, one at a time and cooking each addition 2 to 3 minutes. If you wish, you can prepare each one as the previous is added instead of preparing all in advance.
- At this point, salt and pepper lightly, starting with about 1 tsp. salt. Add the tomatoes, stock, water, and herbs and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for one hour. Taste for salt.
- Add the beans and simmer again for 15 minutes. The soup should never be watery or thin but rather substantial. If it appears too thick for your taste add a bit more stock. If it appears to thin, continue to cook it, uncovered, until more liquid evaporates. Taste again and adjust seasonings. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan. Serves 6.