Canadian Mussel Chowder
- 1.5kg / 3lb Canadian Cove mussels
- 175g / 3/4cup finely ground salt pork
- 75ml / 1/3 cup substitute lard for pork
- 300ml / 1 1/4cup diced onions
- 25ml / 2tbsp all purpose flour
- 500ml / 2cups diced potatoes
- 500ml / 2cups hot milk
- 125ml / 1/2cup hot light cream
- to taste salt and pepper
- Steam covered mussels in a small amount of water on high heat until open (5-8 minutes) and remove from shells.
- Discard shells, reserving meat and juice.
- Strain juice through a cheese cloth, stopping when sediment at the bottom is reached.
- Add enough hot water to make 4 cups of mussel stock. Set aside.
- Sauté salt pork in a large pot. Add onions and continue to sauté until onions become transparent.
- Add flour and stir until blended.
- Add stock and stir until smooth.
- Bring to boil, add potatoes, and simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add hot milk, hot light cream and mussels.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.